MNsure: Informative Content Related to
MNsure Health Insurance Policies
Get your MNsure quote from a Health of America Insurance Agency agent. Be assured we will help you find the best plans and coverages from the most competitive health carriers in Minnesota offering MNsure.
Call one of our helpful agents today for a free review of the programs available that will best suit your needs and budget!
The primary purpose for a MNsure plan is for lower income persons to qualify for a premium subsidy from the government so as to encourage carrying coverage as opposed to not carrying any coverage. The subsidy may be available for those earning up to 400% of the poverty level.
There are several factors that determine the rates you will pay for your choosen plan.
1) The basic plan design - bronze, silver, gold or platinum. (See below.)
2) The region of the state that you reside - there are 9 pricing regions in Minnesota. (See below.)
3) Your age, and *smoker status - *(Smoker rates can be up to an add'l 50% surcharge with no government contribution towards the surcharge amount.)
4) Your modified adjusted gross income (line 21 on 1040 EZ or line 37 on on the 1040). (See below.)
To find out if you qualify for a free or low cost plan the MNsure website will require your first name, last name, social security number, date of birth, waiver status, EE status (employee - dependent - spouse - or domestic partner), email address. This information will connect to the Federal Hub (information to confirm your identity). At this point you will be asked to Sign up for a MNsure account to progress to finding your subsidy amount if any.
The basic plans available are:
These plans and prices reflect the lowest cost plans available before a subsidy is applied.
- Bronze - must cover 60% of expected costs for the average individual
- Silver - must cover 70% of expected costs for the average individual
- Gold - must cover 80% of expected costs for the average individual
- Platinum - must cover 90% of expected costs for the average individual
The 9 Premium Regions for MNsure are:
1 - Rochester area and the surrounding counties of: Dodge, Fillmore, Freeborn, Goodhue, Houston, Mower, Olmstead, Steele, Wabasha, Winona.
2 - Duluth area and the surrounding counties of: Carlton, Cook, Itasca, Koochiching, Lake, Lake of The Woods, St. Louis.
3 - Mankato area and the surrounding counties of: Blue Earth, Faribault, Waseca, Le Sueur, Martin, Nicolet, Rice, Watonwan.
4 - Worthington area and the surrounding counties of: Brown, Cottonwood, Jackson, Lincoln, Murray, Nobles, Pipestone, Redwood, Rock.
5 - Marshall area and the surrounding counties of: Big Stone, Chippewa, Kandiyohi, Lac Qui Parle, Lyon, McLead, Meeker, Renville, Sibley, Swift, Yellow Medicine.
6 - Fergus Falls area and the surrounding counties of: Becker, Clay, Douglas, Grant, Otter Tail, Pope, Stevens, Traverse, Wilkin.
7 - Brainerd area and the surrounding counties of: Aitkin, Beltrami, Cass, Chisago, Crow Wing, Hubbard, Isanti, Kanabec, Mille Lacs, Morrison, Pine, Roseau, Todd, Wadena.
8 - Twin Cities area and the surrounding counties of: Anoka, Benton, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott, Sherburne, Stearns, Washington, Wright.
9 - Crookston area and the surrounding counties of: Clearwater, Kittson, Mahnomen, Marshall, Norman, Pennington, Polk, Red Lake.
Federal Poverty Level Chart: